RSS Feed

Shades of Blue

I recently finished up this project just in time to wear to a college ball (and I mean just finished – like I hemmed the skirt about an hour before I had to leave for the event!).  Of course I still had time to take a few photos before I left:

The pattern is McCall’s 5784 from 1961 and it’s just delightful.

McCall's 5784

I made my version from a lovely vintage inspired print from my local Spotlight, and the contrasting band at the neckline was made from a remnant of vintage fabric that I bought a while back from Rathdowne Fabrics (if you’re a Melbournite and haven’t checked out this store yet, you really must!).  I made a couple of changes to the dress.  Because the print was so busy and I know I’d have no chance of matching it, I decided to cut the front bodice on the fold rather than having two front bodice pieces – this caused a couple of problems for me a bit later on, but it all worked out in the end.

I also halved the amount of fabric in the skirt because I didn’t have enough – this baby needs probably 2.5 metres for the skirt alone!  I also changed the required pleats to a simple gather – mainly because I ran out of time to figure out where and how to place the pleats due to my removing half the fabric from the original version and not being able to simply use the pattern markings.

Figuring out how to face the ‘v’ in the front took a lot of time and patience, particularly since I wanted to line the bodice because I’ve decided I really dislike facings, and because of the aforementioned tweaks to the way I cut the front bodice.  I wish I hadn’t gone down this route now, the fabric didn’t really need to be lined, and it just turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.  I ended up ‘facing’ the v-neck with fusible tape.  Cheating, I know, but I literally spent hours trying to do it ‘properly’ (i.e. by actually sewing it) to no avail and this was the neatest solution I could come up with.  And no one will know except me (…and you – shhh, don’t tell!).


Another confession – because I didn’t have thread that matched the neck band well enough, I safety pinned the pieces together while wearing it rather than making a buttonhole – I’m a terrible seamstress…

While I love the finished product making this dress stretched my patience – all of my own making, I know.  Hopefully it will make me think before I deviate from a pattern too much in the future…probably not, but hopefully!

Advertisements

6 responses »

  1. Cute dress! I love that colour 🙂
    I hate facings too. They’re so damn fiddly and half the time they dont even fit properly. Though of course that’s usually my fault for doing alterations on the fly and then forgetting to add them to the facings.

    Reply
    • Ha ha…I do exactly the same thing – make all these careful alterations to the outer of the garment then completely neglect to change the facings/linings/whatever on the inside. Then I spend hours cursing myself and swearing I’ll never do it again, but of course….

      Reply
  2. I love the contrast on this, so pretty!

    Reply
  3. I love the neckline detail on your dress! So pretty! I am starting a sewing linky party today called Sew & Tell Saturday at my website and I am hoping to get some vintage sewists aboard to post their projects because there aren’t any sewing linky parties to show off vintage creations. I hope you can come over and post a link to your blog today! Thanks so much!
    Justine @ Sew Country Chick

    Reply
  4. I am LOVING your dress ! So pretty ! xx

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: